Breakout and Extended Sessions
Breakout and Extended Sessions on both days will offer strategies, evidence based practices and resources for educators, clinicians and parents to support independence for students with ASD and other developmental disabilities from preschool through adulthood.
Day 1 Breakout Session Topics will include:
- Sexuality and sexuality education for individuals with ASD: What parents and teachers need to know. (Peter Gerhardt)
- Transition from School to Adulthood (Bonnie Boaz)
- Maintaining Ethical Boundaries in Supportive Professional Relationships for BCBAs (Liz Lorah)
- Supported Employment: How can we Make it Work for Individuals on the Spectrum (Keith Vire)
- Independence through Peer Relationships: Examples from a Middle School Classroom (Maegan Calvert)
Day 2 Extended Sessions:
The extended afternoon sessions on Friday will leave participants with resources, plans for creating their own interventions, and materials and supports for promoting independence.
- Friendship: Supporting Social Independence (Peggy Whitby)
- "I Can Do It Myself!" Using Visual Supports to Increase Independence (Kara Hume)
- "Yes! My child can be potty trained!" Successful Strategies for Any Child (Liz Lorah)